Friday, September 4, 2009

They Walk Among Us

...you never know when you'll meet a hero

September 24, 2005 is a special day for Sarabeth and Graham (and me!). On that day I had the honor of officiating their wedding ceremony. I knew at the time that Graham was a new officer with the Dallas Police Department. I also sensed that this was a young man with steely resolve and yet compassionate heart--the kind of guy you want on your side. Wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of Graham and yet I'm more than happy to have him protecting me.

Fast forward a couple of years and I discovered that Sarabeth is in the wedding planning business, most recently starting her own company, called Sarabeth Events. Click
HERE for more info. Sarabeth is one of the premier event planners in north Texas. Through the wedding industry, I've been able to stay in regular contact with the couple. Not regular enough, apparently.

Not sure how I missed this story in the Dallas Morning News, but Graham got his mug and a story on the front page of the paper on April 3, 2009. You can read the story of his actions
HERE. Sorry, but I don't have a better picture of Graham.

A few weeks ago, got an email from Sarabeth that their first child is due later this year. Graham Alden Quattlebaum is due December 8. Maybe I'll get some baby pix that I can post later on.

Here's the thing: in the course of our daily lives, we never know who we'll meet, what person might impact our lives, or how we might impact someone else's life. We just need to be open to those around us. By the way, I'm absolutely sure that Graham is not comfortable with the "hero" title but that's okay. Just know that if you're on the Dallas streets and you get stopped by a muscular, athletic looking officer with a really long name that starts with "Q", you're looking at a hero. Sign the ticket and tell him "thanks".

Thanks, Graham, for protecting and serving us. And thanks, Sarabeth, for supporting your man in his chosen profession. I'll be expecting the baby pix.

Blessings,
Ken

1 comment:

The Quattlebaums said...

Ken,

I wanted to thank you for your kind words and praise. I am very honored that you think of me as a "hero" and you are right, it does make me uncomfortable! I think that it is great that we are able to stay in touch and that you and I get to chat every now and then (under less stressful situations). We feel very lucky to have met you and had you officiate our wedding. You kept me calm and laughing when only you could sense that I was nervous. You are outstanding at what you do. Thank you for always being such a great friend.
Graham