Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I Love Technology

...most of the time

When I was a kid growing up in Orlando, FL, my dad traveled a lot. As a result he tried to make sure that mom had plenty of help, not only in terms of a weekly cleaning person, but in terms of amenities in the house. I won't say what year it was, but our house was just about the first one on the block to have an automatic dishwasher built in.

We'd all stand around it and marvel. My sisters and I would fight over who got to push the button to start it up. Which brings me to my point. That dishwasher had one lever (latch/unlatch), and one button. It was red. Pushing that one button started the cycle.

Fast forward to this week. Our old dishwasher finally gave up, so today a brand new Maytag was installed. It's sleek, black, and very quiet. Eerily quiet, in fact. The electronic control panel is hidden on the top edge. It has enough buttons and programs that I assume there must be an ap for it available from Apple. At the very least they could have included an instructional DVD.

I'm happy to say that even at my age, I'm comfortable with computers, DVD's, Tivo, smart phones, scanners, digital cameras, my Tom-Tom GPS and other electronics. I'm just not sure why a dishwasher needs that many electronic programs.

blessings,
Ken
btw: the first load of dishes came out spotless; and I just realized I sound like Andy Rooney.

No comments: