Monday, July 16, 2012

The Little Things Are The Big Things

...it's never being too old to hold hands

This past weekend, we decided to get take out from our favorite Tex-Mex restaurant about 5 minutes from home. As I walked out holding my bags of tacos, chile rellenos, and guacamole, I saw an elderly couple about to step up on the sidewalk and it was taking a little time to get up that short step. They were holding hands and he steadied her as she went.

I stopped and inquired how long they had been married. He replied "a long time...67 years". She added "we always hold hands, but since my stroke, I can't walk without him".  Then he said, with a grin on his face, "Besides, when we're in a store, if I let go of her hand, she shops!".

We exchanged a few words and went on our way. They didn't see the little tears in my eyes. They reminded me of a reading I sometimes use at weddings. It's called "The Art of Marriage" and the part I like is the first two lines:
                  "The little things are the big things. It's never being too old to hold hands".

I'll probably never see this couple again and I wish I had said more to them about how they brightened my day. Happy to say that Donna and I routinely hold hands when we're out together. We refer to little things like that as "old love".

Blessings,
Ken

No comments: