Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Happy Birthday

...to the greatest Mom ever

December 9 would be the 83rd birthday for Jeanette J. Byrd, known to all her friends and grandchildren as JJ. It's been almost 13 years since we lost her but it's a rare day when she doesn't cross my mind. She was much like her father, in that she was the fun spark in any family gathering. She celebrated life, children and grandchildren, and I know that she would be celebrating her great-grandchildren if she were still alive.

She always told us she loved us and was proud of us (by us, I mean me and my sisters). She encouraged us to tell our loved ones how we felt while we had the chance. She also told us that if we wanted to bring her flowers, we should do it with a living plant and while she was still living. She even (jokingly?) told us that if we ever put cut flowers on her grave, she would come back and haunt us.

To this day, my sisters and I have never put flowers on her grave, even though we've been there many times. We stand there and celebrate her memory.

Happy Birthday, Mom, from your baby boy.

Blessings,
Ken

No comments: