Tuesday, November 11, 2008

You Know You're Getting Older When...

Part Two, or three, or whatever.

Sometime in late 1996 or early 1997, I walked in the front door of a family owned printshop near White Rock Lake, to get a bid on some graphic work I needed to have done. The person behind the counter made quite an impression on me, partly with her knowledge of the print process, but mainly because of her completely open and friendly nature. I did not know then that the friendship would continue all these years, even to the point that she asked me to officiate her wedding held at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden. The ceremony was a small private affair, and by small, I mean the bride, groom, my wife, and me. Afterwards we celebrated with brunch at a hotel downtown. This was all several years ago.

Fast forward to 2006 and this is how she looked. Okay, I know that all the women reading this will empathize
and think about the trials of being several months pregnant. I know that the men reading this will wonder if it was the cliché pickles & ice cream cravings or something equally strange. My personal take is that pregnant women are among the most beautiful things God created. How could you look at that picture and not think that she is beautiful?

Well, human biology being what it is, sometimes surprises occur and in this case the surprise was in the form of two, yes TWO, healthy little boys. Their names are
Gavin and Landry. I think this picture may be one of a very few that isn’t blurry—Julie tells me they never stop moving.

I write this to tell all of you how blessed my life is. Some of my couples I know better than others; some of them move in and out of my life. Some stay in touch and send me pictures, some don't. It's okay either way, as they all live in my memories. Whatever trials a couple may face, and no matter if there are zero children or a whole pack of 'em, they are forever locked in my memory as they were on wedding day, except maybe in this case. Part of me would still like to walk in the door of the Casa Linda area printshop and see her standing behind the counter. About the time of the wedding, the print shop changed hands and is under new ownership.

Anyway, I get regular emails from her, often with a link to the blog she set up to post pictures of the twins. I send her links to blogs for my grandchildren. Heck, even though she's no longer in the printing biz, she's still my go-to person when I need graphics advice.

Here's to staying in touch with good friends.

Blessings

Ken

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ken for blessing me with your friendship and support. I am grateful everyday that you walked into that printshop!! Jules