Friday, November 28, 2014

Happy Birthday, Dad

Ninety Years!!

Dad almost made it to his 90th birthday. We had been planning a big birthday bash (at his request) for over a year. We're thinking that sometime this winter we're going to have a celebration of his life with a bunch of friends and relatives and relate our favorite stories about him.

Here's my favorite story in recent times: About four years or so back, Dad decided he wanted a new car and asked me to take him to the Dallas Auto Show. He's a traditional kind of guy, but there just aren't many cars left like his favorite Lincolns and rear-drive Buicks. So I steered him to one of the last remaining front engine/rear drive cars, a Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition. He liked the car a lot but expressed some concerns. When I questioned him about it, he replied, "well, the Mercury brand has been discontinued and I'm worried about resale value".

I said, "Dad, you're 85 years old. Why would you care about resale value". He bought the car.

Blessings,
Ken

No comments: