Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tim and Miss Jamie

...and Nik makes three

This afternoon I had the pleasure to perform a wedding ceremony for Jamie and Tim. At their request, and with my encouragement, they wanted to include Tim's 9 year old son, Nik, in the ceremony. I'll have pictures later and make another entry about this ceremony but right now, a particular moment in the ceremony is on my mind.

Nik, a wonderfully sweet and articulate 9 year old, has autism. He calls his new step-mom "Miss Jamie". Not only was he the ring bearer, he served as best man for his dad. He looked great in his tux with red tie and red pocket square.

Tim and Jamie wanted to have a unity candle along with a beautiful Hawaiian tradition called "blending of the sands". During these two special touches, as the three were blending their colored sand into one vessel, Nik looked up and whispered, "Miss Jamie, you're so beautiful". It was so quiet that I almost didn't hear it. Love comes softly.

Frankly I was glad that the sand blending took a couple of more minutes, so I had time for the lump in my throat to subside so I could go on with the ceremony. If only we could all be so direct and honest and innocent as Nik.

Blessings,
Ken

No comments: