Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sometimes I Can't Find the Words

...a grandson makes me proud

Aidan Kenneth Byrd is my first (of four) grandson and he is now following in his father's footsteps by joining the scouting program.

Interesting facts: in the last 50 years, only 2-5% of boys who enter scouting will achieve the rank of Eagle. As I recall Adam reached that milestone in 1991 or 1992. I still have, and cherish, the Eagle-Dad pin and Eagle neckerchief I got. More interesting facts: of the 27 men to travel to the moon, 24 were Boy Scouts; and 11 of the 12 who actually walked on the moon were Scouts; all three members of Apollo 13 were Scouts. Currently, 36% of West Point cadets were in Scouting.

I'll look forward to attending Aidan's Eagle ceremony in a few years. If there's one thing we know about Aidan, it is that he will absolutely achieve what he pursues. He recently received his Bobcat pin, the first step in Scouting.

Blessings,
Ken

No comments: