Sunday, December 13, 2009

Yuletide Cheer

...and a couple of tears

TLBW and I went caroling tonight along with a dozen or so other members of our homeowner's association. Beautiful night, stars out, no wind. Perfect. One of our members had made a list of those in the neighborhood who can't get out due to illness or other reasons. What a joy to see the doors open and smiles light up brighter than the Christmas lights out front!

The one that will stay in my mind for a while is an 80-something lady with a sweet countenance who came to the door in a gown. We had been told that she'd recently had a fall, plus she's in the early stages of Alzheimers. As we sang our songs, tears rolled down her cheeks across the wrinkles and onto the smile she had for us. Have to admit that part way into the second song the words faltered a bit, mainly due to the lump in my throat. As we turned to go I noticed I wasn't the only one with watery eyes.

I don't even know her name and I imagine she doesn't realize how those tears and her smile brightened our lives tonight. I give thanks to God that out of close to a thousand homes in the neighborhood, He let us go to hers.

Blessings,
Ken

No comments: