Friday, December 26, 2008

Pay Attention To The Whole Journey...

Not just the destination.

I've been going to Dallas' Adolphus Hotel for years and usually, my eventual destination is a wedding or a rehearsal in one of the ballrooms. It occurred to me last week that every single time I'm there, I walk in the revolving door with a smile on my face and a positive attitude because of, believe it or not, the door man!

If you've been to the Adolphus, you already know who I'm talking about. If you haven't been, then you need to experience Phillip Johnson, the first face you encounter when you drive up to the front entry. His commanding presence, positive attitude and the booming "Welcome to the Adolphus!" are what has put this man at the top of his game and made him a customer service legend in Dallas. He was the man to utter those welcoming words when the Queen of England visited Dallas in 1991. He was also the man to say those words when a humble minister pulled up last weekend to conduct a wedding rehearsal. Take a look at that smile--how could you not appreciate a friendly word from this guy?

I drive up to that entry in my 8 year old Ford; but it doesn't matter whether it's a Ford or a brand new Bentley or Benz, Phillip treats everyone like royalty. On my recent visit, he even put my car in the coveted "up front" spot, as he knew I'd only be inside for an hour at the wedding rehearsal. Imagine that, me getting preferential treatment from Phillip Johnson? It was like being invited to sit on the 50 yard line at the Super Bowl (assuming the Cowboys ever get back to the Super Bowl). The entire staff of the Adolphus makes you feel that way. Apparently the hotel must think highly of Phillip as he has his own page on the Adolphus website. Click HERE to see it. Phillip has been there for 27 years.

This is the good stuff, folks. Stop along the way, pay attention to those things you might otherwise take for granted. Tell those people you meet regularly how much they mean to you.

My gratitude goes to Phillip Johnson at the Adolphus Hotel, who always makes me feel like a VIP. Next time you're at the Adolphus, tell Phillip I said hello, but I can't guarantee that'll get you a good parking spot :)

Blessings,
Ken

No comments: