Thursday, October 30, 2008

Celebrating Grandchildren

…they just don’t know how much joy they give us.

We’ve all heard the cliché phrase “if I had known how much fun grandchildren were, I would have had them first”. Well, despite the biological impossibility of that, every grandparent understands the intent. Sure, in order to be a grandparent you have to come to grips with the fact you’re getting older. I’m embracing that fact, mainly because of the pure joy my grandsons give me.
Three of them are old enough that they can press the speed dial on their parents cell phone and be instantly connected to me. I don’t even care that sometimes there are long silences when I ask a question. Just knowing that they’re there and cared enough to call Granddaddy or Mamaw is sufficient.


One reason I’m posting this is to advise couples to be tolerant of their parents when the babies start to come later on in their marriage.


True, I let my grandsons get away with things I wouldn’t have allowed with my own children—well, get over it. They’re my grandchildren. If my children hassle me too much about the issue, then the next time I’m babysitting, I can give the child a Snickers and a Mountain Dew, and wait for them to be picked up. What the heck, my own mother used to do that with my sons.

We’ve been blessed with two sons, one of whom has two boys and the other one boy. Our other blessing is a daughter (not biologically, but she’s our child nonetheless) who has a son. The four grandsons range in age from 6 years down to 6 months. We also have a grand daughter who was born into Jesus' arms on November 30, 2007. She may not be here in the flesh, but she lives in the spirit, in our hearts.

So today, I celebrate my grandchildren: Aidan Kenneth, Liam Christopher, Alexander James, Sydney Grace and Dawson Kenneth.


Blessings,
Ken

No comments: